Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Homemade Headboard

When it comes to buying furniture I believe in investing in versatile pieces that you adore. Accumulating what you love is a slow and deliberate process. It also requires the art of prioritizing...knowing which pieces are necessary to "make" a room and which ones can wait. Following this mantra has allowed me to decorate my home without breaking the bank. That said, there are still some big items I'm living without...namely, a bed.

The last time I had a headboard I was sleeping in my childhood bedroom. I've always thought it would be nice to have a bed but I certainly wasn't losing sleep over it. I had survived just fine without one and, despite bouts of longing, could never really find what I was looking for. So, I decided to wait.

Fast forward ten years and my bedroom was looking naked. I needed something to anchor the room and it occurred to me that maybe I could pull off the structure I was looking for without actually buying a bed. My story now takes us to the plumbing department at Home Depot. The first things on our shopping list were three black iron pipes cut to our specified lengths (measure both the width of your bed and how tall you want your headboard to be) and two elbows to connect them all together.

Two bases (called "flanges") provided the foundation on which our homemade headboard could stand. Billy bought four U bolts to attach the headboard to the bed frame (genius man).

Ok, so that's the boring part. Bring someone with you to Home Depot who likes that sort of thing. The fun started when I got to rummage through my antique linen sheets to find something beautiful to drape over the hardware! I have tons of monogrammed sheets, none of which have my initials on them but I don't really care. The hand-stitched embroidery is so gorgeous that my name can be whatever goes with the sheets. We covered the top of our "headboard" with foam pipe insulation to keep the sheet clean (and to add some depth).

The finished product is so unique and versatile, as I can always change the color and texture of the backdrop. I love the industrial look of the hardware juxtaposed with the softness of the linen. A little creativity goes a long way!

3 comments:

  1. "Accumulating what you love is a slow and deliberate process." I love this line--it applies to everything in life, right? So profound. Miss you, xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent website you have here: so much cool information!.. stop headboard from hitting wall

    ReplyDelete
  3. Acoustic Ceilings are a practical and stylish solution for controlling noise levels in interior spaces. Made of materials like fiberglass and mineral fiber, these ceilings absorb sound and reduce echo, creating a more comfortable and productive environment. They are an ideal choice for commercial spaces, such as offices, schools, and restaurants, as well as residential spaces like home theaters and bedrooms. With a range of styles and colors, they offer both functional and aesthetic benefits.

    ReplyDelete