Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Ode to Olio Lusso

Linda Rodin turns out to be my long-lost soul sister. We both adore shelling, scouring the flea markets for treasure and red lipstick. I met Linda when I discovered her luxurious face oil, Olio Lusso, which has been a savior to my sensitive skin. The elixir is made up of 11 essential oils and smells divine. I'm eternally devoted. I had the pleasure of spending the afternoon with Linda in her eclectic and loving home for a glass of vino (screw top Pinot Grigio served in small vintage glasses) to chat about home, passions and (of course) Olio Lusso.

Opening the door to her apartment, Linda greeted me wearing a St. Jame's-inspired striped shirt and skinny jeans...her hair swept back, her face fresh and her lips bright. There's an effortlessness about her, which seems fitting given that this woman was a fashion editor at Harper's Bazaar and has been freelance styling for more than 20 years. Her home is colorful and airy and full of shiny objects ("Glitter is good!" she says). It's a veritable feast for the eyes, with trinkets and photos and objets d'art. "I'd rather be home than anywhere else. I'm not necessarily a lighthearted person--I think a lot--but I think life is beautiful and I want to be surrounded by beautiful things. I want to be inspired by what I see."



I asked Linda what inspires her and she immediately responded by saying "a fresh face!" Her visage is the example; Linda never wears makeup...just red lips. I was so inspired by this look that I bought Chanel lipstick (Rouge Coco #34) and copied her style for the ASPCA Bergh Ball. She also insists on a great pair of jeans (her favorites are made by UNIQLO). "Just be as natural as you can be. That's the credo of my oils...'Be the best you can be naturally.' "

And that's exactly what they do. Olio Lusso was developed on Linda's living room floor à la chemistry class and the results of her efforts were given to friends at photo shoots and runway shows until the word spread and she was making 100 to 200 bottles a weekend. "I really didn't expect this to become a business," says Linda, but she knew she needed to make her homegrown oil official. "My nephew helped me measure my recipe, pouring each oil into vials until we were able to replicate it perfectly. It's the same combination I've used since the very beginning." My devotion to Olio Lusso is bhakti at its best. Her oil has become my go-to elixir for a healthy, radiant glow.

No comments:

Post a Comment